Asbestos is a naturally occurring mineral, found in rock, which can break into very tiny pieces, small enough to be inhaled. If these fibres are inhaled in very large quantities, they can get stuck in the lungs and in some cases cause disease and cancer. Before it was discovered that asbestos was harmful to humans it was widely used in the building industry for many years. If there is asbestos in your home, this does not automatically mean that it is a problem - asbestos can only affect your health if it becomes damaged, as it could then release harmful fibres into the air around you.

It is, therefore, very important that our tenants work with us to make sure that asbestos is not unknowingly disturbed. They should do this by:

  • Requesting permission from North Devon Homes prior to undertaking any improvement works, DIY or any other works that may disturb the internal or external fabric of the building, including outbuildings
  • Providing access for the purposes of asbestos surveys as well as allowing access for any asbestos removal works deemed necessary
  • Notifying North Devon Homes of any damage to the fabric of the building as soon as possible

One of the most common uses of asbestos was in textured coating on ceilings and walls, and it was also widely used in cement products and insulation boarding. This diagram shows where asbestos products are most commonly found in houses built before 2000:

Asbestos Guide

Undisturbed and in good condition, these products pose no risk to people’s health and are best left where they are. If you are concerned that asbestos in your home may have become damaged, or are planning to carry out or commission any works, then please contact us.

For more information please read our Asbestos leaflet.