It is very important that you get written permission to make any alterations to your home prior to undertaking the works. This is an important part of your tenancy agreement with North Devon Homes. Examples of alterations include:
- installing sky dishes
- landscaping the garden
- improvement works to kitchens and bathrooms
- installing laminate flooring
- installing a gas supply
- erecting a garage or shed
- planting or removing trees or hedges
- forming a hard standing / driveway
- In basic terms you are allowed to decorate your home i.e. paint walls and ceilings but anything that is more intrusive including the smoothing of walls and ceiling prior to decoration must have permission.
Whilst we will allow customers to undertake some alterations to their property we do restrict permission for a number of reasons as follows:
- Health & safety considerations, particularly when there is asbestos present in a property.
- We try to maintain standard layout for properties and do not want to overcrowd properties by dividing rooms to form additional bedrooms etc, as this can cause other issues in terms of damp and condensation.
- We do not want to take on additional items that will be a future repair liability to North Devon Homes.
- We need to consider the potential impact of any alteration to our properties, for example, how the installation of a solid fuel appliance would affect its energy efficiency or how a lean to construction may obstruct access to the roof for repairs. Laminate can also pose an obstruction when we require access to pipe work under the floor.
If you do not get written permission and you go ahead with the alteration, you will be liable for making good any of the work that you have undertaken at your own cost. We may also seek to correct any work undertaken and charge you for this.
If you would like more information about requesting permission to make alterations to your home please click here to read our Permissions leaflet.
If you would like to make alterations to your home please use our enquiry form to request permission.